Brazoria County .org



  Home | Clerk | Sheriff | Fire | Court | Community College | Schools | Library | History
Department of Health | Hospitals | Humane Society | Airport | Parks | Fair | Real Estate | Business Directory

 

The Brazoria County Courthouse was moved to Angleton as a result of an election in September 15, 1896. On October 24, 1896, County Judge A. R. Masterson declared the election results. A total of 3,312 votes had been cast, 2,073 for Angleton and 1,239 for Brazoria. Brazoria was no longer the County Seat. County Judge A. R. Masterson inaugurated the court in October 11, 1897.

A new Courthouse was built on block 14 on December, 1941. This decision was based on the fact that “the courthouse was spatially inadequate to meet the county's needs.” The Grand Jury met with County Auditor Frank Taylor who had the building inspected by an architect. The architect recommended that it be condemned and the new courthouse was built with an internal jail. With the official acceptance of the new courthouse and the relocation of county documents and offices, the 1897 courthouse was no longer the official Brazoria County courthouse. Today the Brazoria County Courthouse serves as a museum and the New Courthouse is known as the Angleton Municipal Court.

Contact Information:
Angleton Municipal Court,
104 Cannan Dr, Angleton, TX 77515.
Phone: (979) 849-2471.


 

Add Your Website/About Us


©1997-2017 All Rights Reserved